10 March 2013

Things Denise Has Been Pondering: Trials and Eternity

The Relief Society lesson was especially wonderful today. We discussed trials, faith, and how sometimes God does not take away our trials just because we are faithful. 
I had a thought I didn't share during the lesson but I wanted to write it down because I need to remember it. Here it is:
Sometimes we are given life-long trials. These things will never go away and may never become easier to bear. Take comfort in knowing that these things will not last into the eternities. This is a lesson I learned indirectly from my mom. She has lots of health issues and she's always saying "I can't wait for the resurrection when my body is perfect!"
Especially if you suffer from a mental or physical illness or know someone who does, this is something to ponder. Tyson suffers from depression and that's really hard for me sometimes because I can't fix it. When things get hard I think to myself, today is just a blip in the timeline of eternity. Some days Tyson's depression wins but I'll have "happy Tyson" for all of eternity. This thought helps me be patient, kind, and compassionate when I feel negative things about his illness. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to endure through and it is not over yet. Lucky for me, Tyson and I work together to pull through bad days or bad weeks. Lucky for me, this life is so small compared to eternal life.
I'm grateful for the reminder today that God knows what I struggle with and He is always there to comfort me even if He does not take away my burden.
Ether 12:27 "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

No comments: