03 March 2013

TMJ, Stress, and Stake Choir

TMJ is interesting in that, for me, it gets worse the more I am stressed. 
Today I directed the stake choir at stake conference. I worried about making it to the end of the two-hour meeting because I could barely open my jaw and the pain was radiating through my whole head. As soon as the song was over the pain was significantly reduced. I guess all week I'd been worried about people showing up to sing with the choir since our rehearsal turnouts were pretty sparse. 
I still have some pain and my headache didn't go away for a few hours but I feel so much better. I'm going to talk to my dentist on Thursday and ask him what he thinks I should do. I don't want this to happen again. Basically, the pain started on Monday and got progressively worse through the week. By the end taking four Ibuprofen was doing NOTHING. I even tried moist heat (like my mom suggested) but that didn't do a whole lot either. 
Good to know that stress can cause this pain though. Next time I've got something big coming up I'll be better prepared.
In any case, the choir was spectacular. The piece I directed was Sally de Ford's arrangement of "I Stand All Amazed". They did so well. I love being ward choir director and I really enjoyed preparing for stake choir. It was so much pressure though! The worst part of my calling is that if people don't show up, then what's the point? Well, I know that if I do my 100% best to prepare and prayerfully consider my calling then that is what really matters. But what is a choir director with no singers to direct? A crazy lady waving her arms ;)
I'm so grateful for my ward choir. They are so supportive of me and really make me feel like my calling is worthwhile.