24 April 2014

OPAC: Day 1 - Dawn Pheysey and Kenneth Cope

Dawn Pheysey, Curator at BYU Museum of Art: "Sacred Gifts: The Religious Art of Carl Bloch, Heinrich Hofmann, and Frans Schwartz"

Dawn talked all about the current Carl Bloch exhibit at the Museum of Art (MOA) titled "Sacred Gifts". It took quite a bit of work to get these pieces here to BYU. The MOA is free and is supported by donors only; no BYU or LDS Church funds go to the museum and its projects.

Doctrine and Covenants 6:10 - "Thy gift...is sacred and cometh from above."

"No, grey skies and rain splashing are part of it - one must be washed thoroughly before one goes in to meet God." - Carl Bloch.



Kenneth Cope, popular LDS singer/songwriter: "Who You Really Are"

Kenneth Cope is an extremely popular LDS singer/songwriter. He brought his guitar and did a musical devotional for us while we had lunch. I'm going to try and include videos of his songs if they are available on YouTube.

"What Have I Done With His Name?"

We are already Gods. I am my Father's child.

[Then he sang "Your Father's Child" which is not available on YouTube. Here is a little blurb about it from Cope's website.]

"Broken"

We are MORE than our bodies. 

How do I feel about my son, William? As a mortal being, I am limited in my capacity to love. But God is perfect. So how much more must he love me?

Love is our greatest motivator.

"More of Me to Give"

When we forget who we are, we forget from whom we came. Never forget that God is your Heavenly Father and you are his loved child.

No comments: