11 April 2014

The Plan of Salvation

I am feeling super grateful for the Plan of Salvation today. In Mormonism, we believe that families are sealed together for time and all eternity. This means that when people die we do not lose that familial connection. You know how in regular marriage vows they say "till death do you part"? Yeah, that's not a thing for us. When a husband and wife are sealed for time and all eternity they start a family bond that is extended to their children. This sealing is particularly comforting for families who lose babies and children.

My uncle is dying. When I was a kid he had a brain tumor but the doctors were able to remove it. It came back last year and this time there was nothing they could do. It's been difficult. Brain cancer isn't painful like other cancers but it's sort of like watching someone die from Alzheimer's. I have only seen my uncle a few times since his tumor came back. The last time was at his daughter's mission farewell about a month ago. My dad and all the other siblings flew out to see my uncle but he couldn't really talk to them or do much. My dad and my uncle both speak German, so they read some scriptures in German together.

He isn't going to be alive for very much longer. It's so sad but our family is peaceful about the whole thing. My dear aunt has the support of my cousins and her other family. We are hopeful that if my cousin is still in the Missionary Training Center (MTC) in Provo when my uncle dies then she will be allowed to attend the funeral. 

I am grateful for my sealing to Tyson and to my family. I am grateful that no matter what happens to Tyson or William or my parents or my siblings that we will always be a family.


No comments: