27 February 2012

Delays

Tyson has been plugging away at his major and is currently in his fourth year of school. Chemical engineering is a super tough program and the trend is to finish in five years. Well, Tyson met with his academic adviser last week and he has two years to go. His original adviser messed up with academic plan in a big way. Since the ChEn courses are only offered once a semester and only during Fall or Winter, he has to taken certain classes first before other ones. His new projected graduation date is April 2014. Sigh. We were so excited about him being done next April, 2013. The good news is that this new plan gives him two summers to work and apply for internships before graduation. Also, his class load will be significantly reduced: 12 major credits Fall 2012 and Winter 2013, and 10 major credits Fall 2013 and Winter 2014. William will be 2.5 years old when Tyson graduates. 
The other reason I was hoping Tyson would be done next April is related to kids. I was hoping (ideal world, right?) that Tyson would graduate with a job offer, we would move to wherever this new job will be (hopefully, Seattle!!), and then we could start trying for another baby. I wanted to have another baby before William turns 3. I love that my brother and I are almost three years apart. From what my mom tells me, it was great for her too, since I was older and a great little helper. There is no way for us to handle having another baby while Tyson is still in school. His courses are so demanding that I'm pretty much the only one working and I'm only working part-time. We are worried about child care because as William gets older Tyson won't be able to take him to classes and Tyson already has trouble studying while he watches William. We just can't afford to pay someone a ton to watch him while I work four hours a day. We really miss having Tyson's sister live near us. She watched William last semester and it was awesome. She wouldn't be able to watch him anymore anyway though, since she's having her second in May/June.
These past few months, but really our whole marriage, has been tough. We've had a lot of unique trials that most newlyweds don't have to worry about. There are many days when we just don't know how we're going to make it. But we do know that if we trust in our Heavenly Father, give 110% to our responsibilities, and love each other like crazy, that things will work out. Somehow, someday, things will be alright. 

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

My graduation got delayed because of a similar mistake. My last semester I only had one class becuase it just wasn't offered the previous semester, talk about frustrating!

As far as kids, I wish we were closer and could help out but I do have a suggestion. I'm guessing there are other young couples around in a similar predicament. Maybe you could swap child care with someone. Or maybe you could talk a childless friend into watching William in exchange for you making them a few dinners (or something like that).

l.k. said...

Hey... I also work four hours a day and it was really hard to find someone we trust to watch Brooks. We pay her $3/hour which sounds like nothing for her, but considering the facts that he sleeps half the time....? Also, it really adds up for her. I bet there is someone in your ward that would do it for like $2/hour. It is so worth it though to have someone because I was so stressed about taking him everywhere on which day, etc. Anyway, I totally feel you, although once Tyson is done with school, it will make things so much easier. Wish I could help you out... Good luck :)