05 February 2015

An Irrational Fear

I keep thinking I'm going to suddenly and unexpectedly give birth to my baby outside of the hospital, like in a bathroom, my shower, or my car on the way to the hospital. I don't know what it is about Utah but there have been WAY too many stories on the news about ladies racing to the hospital to give birth and not quite making it. Here's a fun, family history-type story for you.

My dad is one of seven kids. When my grandma was pregnant with baby #7, the family lived on an Air Force base in California. She woke up one night around 2am and went to use the bathroom, which is not unusual for very pregnant women. And she gave birth to my uncle. I guess after six kids, birthing baby #7 just isn't that big of a deal.

I'm pretty sure that kind of thing won't happen to me partly because I'm not having any contractions and that's important to labor and also because I'm a bit paranoid about the whole process. If labor does start I'd be one of those ladies who keeps going to the hospital and getting sent home. Pretty sure.

No comments: