06 August 2011

Student Job #3 (Sort of)

I have worked for BYU Continuing Education (Job 1) for two-and-a-half years. Yup. Long time. In April I started working as a student editor for the Humanities Publication Center at BYU (Job 2). As most of you know, I am graduating from BYU on Friday. HALLELUJAH! However, this means that I will lose Job 1 and Job 2 since I won't be a student anymore. BUMMER. 
For the past few months I have been searching everywhere for a job that I could do with a newborn at home and a husband in school full-time and working part-time. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy. I applied just about everywhere I could think of including Costco, Home Depot, and putting labels on bottles for a local health store. Yeah. I applied for that, too. I applied for some full-time and some part-time jobs. I was hoping to NOT get a full-time job because I really would like to be home with my baby. Crazy, right? Well, BYU had a few jobs that I applied for but I wanted one in particular. I applied for a part-time secretary position in the Linguistics and English Language Department which just happens to be the department I am graduating from. I love my major dearly. I mean, seriously. We have the BEST faculty and am just not quite ready to say "Peace out!" to all those amazing people. So I applied for the job, took the Office Skills tests, and waited to hear from someone.
A week went by and I hadn't heard anything. I took a chance and emailed the department secretary just to make sure they had seen my application. She said she wanted to interview me but that she couldn't find my application. Huh? Luckily she set up an interview with me anyway and contacted the employment office to find out what the heck was going on. I met with her yesterday morning and I was pretty nervous. I really wanted that job. We chatted for a bit and she says "Well, I want to hire you right now." Okay! 
Only problem is that I am currently employed as a student (Jobs 1 and 2) and I can't get out of those until the 20th because I have to work Education Week. Turns out, you can't have a staff and student job at the same time. So, what to do? I got hired as a student (Job 3) until my other jobs end and then I'll be switched to staff. I even get to have an A Lot sticker for parking! Woo! She knows I'm pregnant (at 37 1/2 weeks it's hard to miss) and knows I'll need time off and she said that was totally fine. She had my job a long time ago right when she had her first baby and she tried to go back to work after 3 weeks. She said it was a mistake and that I should take as much time as my baby needs. Awesome! I'm hoping that will only be 4 weeks but we'll see, I guess. I start on Monday doing training and I am thrilled to have this opportunity.
She told me that she had tried hiring a few other people but they all had found other jobs. I know that I'm not a perfect person but I try to do my very best everyday. As my friend reminded me last night, the Lord blesses those who are obedient. My mom says that the Lord is looking out for Tyson and me since we are having a baby and trying to be obedient to His commandments. I am grateful for this new job and for the chance I have to help out my family and still be home with my baby for most of the day.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm super happy for you, Deedee! But will you still be working for me for a few days? Please say yes! Love you!

Muffy said...

Congrats Denise!!! :D That's awesome you found a job!

Denise said...

Yes, Mater, I will still working for you until I finish the manuscript you gave me. Then I'll be done since I'll be working Education Week full-time. Woot.